collage banner

collage banner

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

All in the Name



So some people have asked how we came up with Allisynn's name. It has an interesting story. We always liked the name Allisynn. We started talking about names around the time of the in-vitro procedure- but not real seriously. I never really let myself start seriously narrowing down the choices until we knew that we were pregnant, or getting a baby. I think part of me thought that it was part of the fun of being pregnant- picking out the name, and so I didn't want to take away from that experience until it was time. So when we started the adoption process and knew that birth moms would want to know what our top three choices were, we really had to get serious. Daddy was the first one to throw the name Allisynn out as an option... I liked it and it was added to the list. We also added several others and kept taking some away and adding more- but Allisynn always stayed toward the top! It ended up that for our first profile showing/birth mother letter, we had three names- but only because they asked for three... we really loved Allisynn. (Sorry- but the others will remain a secret- incase Allie has a sister someday!:) I'm sure someone was either wondering or going to ask...)


As for the middle name, we were really unsure. We kept going back and forth and wanted to include our familes and their names, but also wanted to be different. We didn't include middle names for the first letter (first birthmom we were shown to) but it was easy for "our" birth mom. When we got the call for profiles, they told us information about the birth mom and said that one of the things she was requesting was that we use the name Marie in some way. They wondered how we felt about this. This seemed like a God thing to me- because My middle name is Marie. We later found out at one of our interviews - that the birth mom's middle name was Marie as well. I think it is a beautiful connection! It still makes me teary when I think of it! :) So- her name is Allisynn Marie! :)


As for the spelling of Allisynn, we wanted to be different. We tried a couple different ways on paper and both loved the -ynn ending. We (and she- later) may be spelling it for people the rest of her life, but we don't really mind. :)


The birth mom didn't have any problems letting us name her what we wanted to name her. She said she liked the name Allisynn and that she had a friend whom she used to be close with and her name was Allison (this spelling looks foreign to me now! :)) too.


Later, after we were home, Aunt S told me that she loves to find the meaning of names, and that to her- that is what makes a name extra special. I about lost it when she told me what Allisynn Marie means! This is what Aunt S said,
"Allisynn Marie - A wished for child whose nature is noble and kind. What a blessing to give a child!"
Thanks Aunt S! :)
Allisynn means noble and kind and Marie means wished for child. It is perfect!!! And the way Aunt S put it all together is beautiful! (More tears from mommy!) Another way that God is working in this whole story and showing us His beautiful plan and His amazing Hand at work! :)


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is so beautiful. i got tears reading it. i am so happy for you guys. you are wonderful parents to little Allie. God bless all 3 of you.

tiffjeffers said...

I love the story and how the name came to be. The meaning is definitely special. It all gave me chills! I have a story that shows "God working" with Reid and I will share it with you sometime.

Anonymous said...

That's such a cool story! Totally amazing how God is working in your lives!!