collage banner

collage banner

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Saving Money!

I have recently been inspired to try some of the make it yourself items that we use around the house.  It took me a while to psych myself up to actually make it... (I'm a chicken like that most times...for most things.) But I finally decided to go for it. I started with homemade eye make up remover. My friend Lisa gave me the info on how she made it and it worked great- so I gave it a try. This was fun because it saved money and really did work. All you need is an empty container of any kind- I used my old make up remover container. A few drops of tearless J.ohn.so.n Baby Sh.amp.oo. and warm water.  Simple! And it works! :) 

Then I tried the homemade laundry soap... this was the biggest step for me... I went back and forth for a couple weeks as to if I was going to try it or not. I also went back and forth between powder (which sounded so much easier) and liquid (which I have a higher preference for). In the end, I went with the liquid. :) I made a small batch (2 and a half gallons) for 74 cents! Yep- that's it! I had been buying T.i.de which was like 20 dollars for the biggest container. HOLY COW! What a savings!  I was worried it wouldn't smell fresh... (I LOVE my clothes to not only feel clean but to smell fresh and clean. Hence I usually always get the scented detergents.)    I couldn't wait to try it out... I washed Gracie's blankets. And was impressed with how clean, soft, and fresh it smelled!!! :) I am hooked! :) 

I also tried a de-tangler. Since Allie's hair is so long, we use this every day.  I got a empty squirt bottle, and a curl and twisted conditioner. Squirted a few squirts of conditioner in the bottle and added water. Bingo- homemade de-tangler! :) Her hair is curlier on the ends since I've started using this. :) 


For the wash soap recipe...   1/2 cup of this... 
  and a 1/2 cup of this....

 and two bars of this (I used it with Aloe for the scent) grated fine....

 

First I grated my soap. 
It needs to be melted on the stove with six cups of water. I used a larger kettle for this part- and a whisk to mix it good. It got sudsy when I did that, but also helped to dissolve the chunks.   Then, when it was dissolved, I added the other two powdered ingredients above. And dissolved those- while still heating it on the stove.  When I was sure it was dissolved, I got my five gallon bucket ready.  I poured four cups of hot water into the bucket and then my kettle mixture.  Then, the directions said to mix in one gallon and six more cups of water. I stirred well between each addition.  Then it said to let it sit for twenty four hours.  I let it cool and then poured it into my containers. You have to have someplace to put it... I like the clear container so I can see when I shake it that it is all mixed again. Plus it is easy to pour. It is an old juice container.  :)
 It has a blueish tint because of the tide left over in the container.  I have poured some of the contents of the tide mixture (mostly my homemade soap, but with out rinsing the empty tide container before pouring in my homemade stuff- I didn't figure it would hurt a thing.)  My mixture is thick- more like gel. Maybe because I used two bars of ivory instead of one of the "fels-naptha" that they recommended. (too strong of a yucky smell for me) I have to shake it- and it doesn't pour out of the spout from the tide bottle. But it is no big deal to shake it and then add it to the wash.  I like the thicker concentration actually.
 Each load only needs a capful (1/2 cup) of liquid gel. :) I dump it in while my washer is filling- before I start adding my clothes. :)

 I don't know if adding more water, and or less soap would help the consistency/separation issue?  So- two and a half gallons (approximately) and only cost me 74 cents total. :) Plus, I have ingredients to make four more batches before I have to buy more bar soap, and several, several more using the boxes of powder. :) Yay!!!!! Makes me so excited! :) I've been using it for a couple weeks now and still am impressed! :)

My white container was filled, the orange container was filled, and half of the clear container was full when I was done. :)  

Thanks Lisa and Stacy for the inspiration! :) Lisa- you really need your own blog to share with us all your amazing ideas! ;o)

1 comment:

tiffjeffers said...

You are AMAZING! Nicely done!