collage banner

collage banner

Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Butterfly Exhibit!

Allie and I went to the local Nature Center and got to see the butterflies. As we were walking up the little hill to the pavilion, I thought- wonder why we don't come here more often. They have nicely mowed paths that go through the woods and back. It would be a fun activity to do- maybe when it gets a little cooler. :)  Anyway- I had heard about this butterfly exhibit and wanted to go. I figured last year that Allie would be too little, and knew I wanted to go this year. It was pretty neat... and the best part- it was free! :) 

Allie got to hold a beautiful butterfly. I wasn't sure how well she would do- since she doesn't seem to like bugs- especially flying ones. :)  But I think that butterflies must be different... they are beautiful for one thing... :) She didn't mind a bit!!
 The Nature Man helped her hold it. First she had to dip her finger in watermelon juice so the butterfly would want to stay there a little bit. :) 
 Holding it on her finger... 
 She liked it! :) 

 The butterfly she was holding, flew away and into the flowers they had in the enclosure... She wasn't too sure about getting close... :)
 This one was the one she was holding. I think this picture turned out so neat. :)  It was cool because she was able to watch it sip the nectar from the flower like we have talked about... she asked me if that is what he was doing. :) Pretty cool! :) 
 I picked this one up and took it's picture- but it didn't want to be held- it flew away pretty quick-- before I could give it to Allie girl. I liked the blue spots on its wings. 
 I was able to catch the one she held earlier and give it back to her. :) 




  Allie and another little girl looking at some monarch caterpillars. The caterpillars  were eating their Milkweed leaves. :)

 Checking out some butterflies that were not living- but laying on the table. 
 Holding "her" butterfly again! :) 

 Side track:  She actually asked me to paint her nails and she sat still while they dried this morning... pretty cool... the first time she has had them painted... she did great and looks so cute.... 
 There was a tube that was painted like a caterpillar and the kids could crawl through. :) She liked that too. :) 


 This is where the exhibit was... in the screened in area. The rest of the pavilion had crafts for the kids to make. ;) 

 She made a cute butterfly that had a noisemaker as the center "body" part. It was neat. 



 We did end up bringing home a chrysalis to watch change to a butterfly.  This is the only part that wasn't free. It was something that I wanted her to experience though. I have seen them change when I was teaching, and it is so cool. The chrysalis will get dark as the butterfly changes- the green skin will become transparent. Then it will hatch... and the butterfly wings will be wet. After they have dried a little you can actually hold the butterfly quite a bit. They can't fly well at all when their wings are damp, so they crawl on your finger. They can  fly a little, so it is neat to watch them flutter to little things- then you can pick them up and hold them again very easily. I wanted her to be able to do this, so we got one...I'm excited to teach her about it and let her experience this neat miracle that God made. :) 

 The butterfly craft that we made together. She thought the noise maker part was pretty cool. :) It was a neat idea. :)

No comments: