collage banner

collage banner

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Preschool Progress Year 2

I started year two of Allie's preschool at home a couple weeks ago.  She amazes me with what she remembers. I hope she keeps her amazing memory and ease for learning. It is something I never had. It seems you tell or show her a couple times and she gets it!  
 When I was teaching, we did journal writing. She is still pretty little, but even my very little first graders could do some in their journals. I took the approach that we'd write in it once a week. I will always use a black marker and she will always use a colored. Since she is learning how to write her letters- that is our focus at this point. She dictates a sentence and we go with it. We sound it out together and the letters I know she can write- she does and the ones I know are too tricky, I write. Pretty simple. She reads it back to me (it is HER sentence after all) and then she draws a picture. :) She was pretty proud of herself. :)

 We learned most of these numbers last year- this was just a review. She was able to line them all up (a new skill) in order with minimal help, and then match the picture (by counting) to each number. This part she needed more help but still did a ton of it on her own! :)  We went all the way to 13. :)
 I "assessed" her to see what she knows already and what I need to work on. She knows almost all of her upper case letters by seeing and identifying them out of order, and about a little over half of her lower case. The ones she didn't get right were SO close... and common errors. p was q and n was u. :)  She also can count and use 1-1 pointing/matching- pointing and saying the correct number as she points and counts.  She knows all of her colors and shapes and stuff like that. :)
 A math game we were playing. We rolled the dice and took out the correct number of macaroni noodles. Whoever got to 20 first won. :) It was excellent because she had to keep practicing her counting. (and adding- but she didn't realize that!)  :)
 Our board we add to. The numbers are much easier for her- but she knows and REMEMBERS (key) about half of the sight words. :) These were all review from last year. The sight words we will keep working on to help make them more automatic. :)
Coloring noodles for her Caterpillar art project. :)
 Scissor skills! :)





 Practicing making the letter M. :)
 Our "slideshow". This is an excellent resource that I used last year and will finish this year. We made it half way through the alphabet last year. It does a letter, number, sight word, shape, color and bible verse- along with vocabulary words that start with the letter and color of the focus.  Then reviews everything from past times. It is wonderful! :) She begs to do them! :)
 Another counting practice activity. :)
 Week 2's Journal Writing-  She wrote most of the letters as we sounded it out. :) She was able to tell me the letter we were sounding out as well most of the time. :)

 Scissor practice- cutting on a line. :) She LOVES her scissors. :)

We also reviewed her Bible memory verses she remembered all of the 13 but maybe 3 or 4! :)

We will update again in a couple weeks. ;) This is more for my records and I am in no way "bragging" about what she can do. I know from teaching that every child learns differently and in different paces. She is eager right now, so I am running with it! :)

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

GREAT post! We just started (well I guess we did a little before, but more formally now) preschool at home with Seraphina, too. Do you have any websites that you get all of these wonderful resources off, or is most of it from your teaching background? (if you don't mind sharing) Anyways, she is ADORABLE and your school looks awesome! :) :) :)

Stacy said...

This is great! I am definitely going to be drawing off of your awesome ideas! Keep up the great work Allie!

Our little family ... said...

I love this! Go Allie! Ava started preschool at a church up the street. I was torn, but working + 2 kids + running the household = NUTS! :) Still hoping SAHM is a career in my near future.

Love all the stuff you guys do - I'm going to supplement here at home so I'll take notes. :)